Scoff if you want. Having criteria to decide what I do and don’t do is actually liberating. Yeah, I know – it’s totally out of character, I’m sure such discipline is not something you would generally attribute to me. Nonetheless, I’ve been applying my criteria – and that is harder than it sounds – and very happy when I do. I may be poorer (in a money way of measuring) but I am much richer in every other way.
Here they are again:
- Can I make a real contribution? Is there a need for my skills? Will I make a difference?
- Will it stretch me? Is it edgy? Will it contribute to my continued learning?
- Is there an opportunity to build capacity, and transfer my skills, knowledge and enthusiasm to others?
- Will it enable me to make money and provide for the future?
- Is there an opportunity to travel to new or interesting places?
- Will I be with cool people, especially friends? Will I potentially make new friends, and build existing relationships?
- Will I have fun?
- Am I excited by the prospect?
Four, or more, and it’s a yes!General, Just Stuff | Comment (1)